Saturday, February 15, 2014

Money


             Today I received a notification on my phone from my bank with my updated balance. I panicked when I noticed that it was much lower than it should have been. I quickly ran up to my room and jumped on my laptop to see where that money went. Apparently, I signed up for Amazon Prime at the beginning of the school year to get free shipping on my textbooks. The free six-month subscription ran out, and I was charged for a year's worth of Amazon Prime. That rather made me extremely conscious about my financial situation. The amount of debt I am already in. Everything that I stopped worrying about came rushing back in. I had planned to go to Target tonight to get groceries for the week, but the situation made me hesitate before spending any money. I finished some homework and decided to finish reading Simply Christian, a book I should have already finished. I had read about three pages when I fell asleep--awaking 30 minutes later unsure what time it was. It was 9:20 and Target closed at 10. I decided to go ahead and get a few groceries, so off to Target I went. When I pulled into Target, I parked in front of an older looking car. I recall noticing three people sitting in the car, all middle-aged and they seemed to be eating something. I thought that was strange, but as I was walking in, I remembered hearing about people living in their cars outside of places like Target and Wal-Mart. I did not think much more about it until I got back outside. They were all still sitting in there. I put my groceries in the backseat and crawled into the drivers seat. Then it hit me. Maybe this is the reason why I fell asleep reading. Maybe God wanted me to see this. Maybe I was to be reminded how much better I have it. I could be reading excessively far into this situation. Those people may very well not be homeless. However, that incident made me remember that my situation could be much worse. We are sometimes too caught up in our own issues that we become blind to our blessings. I am so thankful for what I saw tonight, it has certainly changed my attitude I had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment